Welcome back to my Real Ale Review. Firstly I'd like to apologise for leading you up the garden path. I said I'd be reviewing TONGHAMS T.E.A. Unfortunately I drank that without reviewing it (Sorry!) so I'll review it at a later date. So, ladies and gentlemen I give you... Badger breweries POACHERS CHOICE!!!
I have drunk Badger beers before and can honestly say I've never had a bad one. So as usual here's what the label says:
BADGER since 1777. 5.7% ABV
The wily poacher knows the temptations the lush Dorset countryside has to offer. Just like Badger, the poacher craftily seeks out its treasures and makes the most of sumptuous local ingredients. This rich, smooth brew has a softly spiced sweetness with dark liquorice notes and a fruity damson aroma. A gutsy ruby ale that is well matched with hearty game pie or a tangy mature cheese.
Okay, now my words... Pours nicely and has a rich dark colour, good frothy head and nice smell. Very similar to Wychwoods Hobgoblin but it's a lot stronger at 5.7%.
The thing that struck me and the wife (yup, she's tasting the ales too) is how accurate the breweries description is, every ingredient you can pick out through taste and smell. For a strong ale this is unbelievably smooth and a little moreish. One thing these breweries won't do is put calorific values on the bottle which is just as well because I'd guess it's close to about 300-350 calories but what the hey.
This ale kept it's head pretty much til the end and the Dorset brewery has done themselves proud.
Price: 3 for £5 0r £1.79 Score 9/10
Labelling and bottle presentation: Score8/10
Colour and translucency: Score 10/10
Initial taste: Score 9/10
After taste: Score 8/10
Total Score 44/50!!!
So, a stonking result for the Badger brewery and a well deserved score. It's one of those ales I would never recommend if you're driving as one bottle is 2.9 units which will undoubtedly put you over the drink drive limit and lose you your licence quicker than you can say 'One more for the road'.
Be safe and drink at home OR find a good driver to cab you around and thanks once again for reading my review.
No comments:
Post a Comment